Back End Engineer
Thought Machine, one of the UK's leading fintech companies, is undergoing a period of rapid expansion and is looking to hire a number of candidates in the role of Back End Engineer.
Our mission is to cure one of the banking industry's primary problems: its reliance on outdated IT infrastructure. Nearly every bank is stuck on a legacy IT platform, which cripples their ability to innovate and give their customers the type of service they deserve.
Our solution to this is Vault: a complete retail banking platform that is capable of being configured easily to suit the needs of any bank. We have built Vault from the ground up as a cloud native, microservice API architecture platform. Thought Machine has a deep culture of engineering excellence, and we believe it is this which delivers a solution compelling enough to engender a seismic shift in the banking industry.
Thought Machine is looking for highly talented individuals to help grow the company and achieve our ambitious goal. We pride ourselves on having an excellent internal culture, where we strive hard to create the best possible working environment; a healthy mix of great technical work, fast pace, supportive atmosphere, and of course our irreverent sense of fun.
Thought Machine hires team members of excellent calibre in every role. While a lot will be asked of you, you will benefit greatly from working in a world class team, with colleagues who excel. Working at Thought Machine is fast paced and team oriented with an emphasis in delivering the highest quality work in every role.
- Designing, implementing and developing scalable, performant microservices using best practices.
- Writing automated unit tests, integration tests, etc.
- Interfacing with other engineering teams to ensure that features are added in a structured and coherent way.
- Managing and debugging your deployments from testing environments all the way to production.
- Translating customer requirements into trackable tickets.
- Our main programming languages are Python and Go, and ideal candidates will be strong in both. We are happy to look at candidates with experience in other languages like Java or C++, so long as we believe that the candidates can get up to speed with Python or Go quickly.
- Experience in developing automated tests as an integral part of the development cycle.
- Interest in working on client-facing projects, conducting scoping and defining deliverables.
- Knowledge of banking / finance.
- Experience with AWS or other cloud providers.
- Familiar with databases (SQL or noSQL).
- Experience with client/server software architectures & networking, or microservice architectures.
- Experience using orchestration tools such as Kubernetes or Mesos.
- Competitive salary
- Share options
- Healthcare (including dental & optical)
- Other perks like sports clubs, healthy (and sometimes not so healthy) snacks, tea and coffee
- A talented & experienced team as your colleagues
- An environment where you can learn and progress
- Friday team wrap up with drinks and food!
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!