Open Source Infrastructure Engineer
Thought Machine, one of the UK's leading fintech companies, is undergoing a period of rapid expansion and is looking to hire a number of candidates in the role of Open Source Infrastructure Engineer.
Our mission is to cure one of the banking industry's primary problems: its reliance on outdated IT infrastructure. Nearly every bank is stuck on a legacy IT platform, which cripples their ability to innovate and give their customers the type of service they deserve.
Our solution to this is Vault: a complete retail banking platform that is capable of being configured easily to suit the needs of any bank. We have built Vault from the ground up as a cloud native, microservice API architecture platform. Thought Machine has a deep culture of engineering excellence, and we believe it is this which delivers a solution compelling enough to engender a seismic shift in the banking industry.
Thought Machine is looking for highly talented individuals to help grow the company and achieve our ambitious goal. We pride ourselves on having an excellent internal culture, where we strive hard to create the best possible working environment; a healthy mix of great technical work, fast pace, supportive atmosphere, and of course our irreverent sense of fun.
Thought Machine hires team members of excellent calibre in every role. While a lot will be asked of you, you will benefit greatly from working in a world class team, with colleagues who excel. Working at Thought Machine is fast paced and team oriented with an emphasis in delivering the highest quality work in every role.
Thought Machine prides itself on having first-class developer infrastructure. We are looking for engineers with a passion for improving developer productivity to help drive this forward.
We are beginning a drive to increase adoption of our next-generation open-source build system please. As part of this role you will be improving the system and helping raise its profile worldwide.
- Designing, upgrading and maintaining Thought Machine’s internal infrastructure
- Keeping Thought Machine’s rapidly expanding engineering team productive
- Developing & supporting Thought Machine’s open source projects
- Upgrading and supporting open source components that are used internally
- Our main programming languages are Python and Go, and ideal candidates will be strong in both. We are happy to look at candidates with experience in other languages like C, C++ or Rust, so long as we believe that the candidates can get up to speed with Python or Go quickly.
- Experience in developing automated tests as an integral part of the development cycle.
- Familiarity with open-source projects, and/or the open source community as a whole.
- Passionate about CI and automation of workflows.
- Highly familiar & comfortable working with Linux.
- Experience with a specialised Linux distribution (e.g. Alpine, Arch or Gentoo).
- Experience with C and usual binary formats
- Familiar with typical open-source build models (make, autotools, etc)
- Knowledge of next-generation build systems (e.g. Please, Bazel, Meson, etc)
- Competitive salary
- Share options
- Healthcare (including dental & optical)
- Other perks like sports clubs, healthy (and sometimes not so healthy) snacks, tea and coffee
- A talented & experienced team as your colleagues
- An environment where you can learn and progress
- Friday team wrap up with drinks and food!